In the present highly competitive business environment, the overall impression of a website lies in the quality of its design. A website’s layout and visuals become the deciding factor in whether the users are impressed or not upon visiting the website. Hence, it would be right to admit the fact that the Web Development stage or process is crucial for creating a successful online presence of a brand and its business. There are many steps involved in a web development project from initiation to its completion. The web development process divides the creation of a website into easily manageable steps and phases. It is a matter of fact that yes – the exact stage of the web development process varies a bit; however, the basic ones remain the same. So, let’s make ourselves familiar with the essential phases of the entire design process to have a better understanding of how a website is developed and designed professionally.
STEP 1 – PROJECT PLANNING
Project planning is the very first step, which involves determining the overall business objectives and goals of the web development project. Without any second thoughts, this step is of utmost importance and contributes significantly to the successful completion of the project. It includes the following aspects:
- Requirement Assessment – It requires finding out the precise and critical requirements of the website, such as detailed features and functionality, website objectives, determining the target audience, and other related information.
- Project Summary – It refers to summing up the website’s requirements. The project summary is a typically concise and to the point document serving as a reference point throughout the process of web development.
- Listing Required Resources – It requires defining and listing the software and other resource requirements for the project, including budget and third party needs.
- Key Performance Goals – It involves determining project budgets, deadlines, website design, page speed, and development goals.
- Competitor Analysis – This stage involves conducting a competitor analysis to find out and evaluate the rival businesses in the market, the number of visitors visiting the website, visual branding, CTAs, navigation, bounce rate, to name a few.
STEP 2 – PROJECT SCOPE
The second step of the web development process involves determining the project scope. For ensuring that the project ends on time and within the initially specified budget, it is essential to have a well-defined scope of the project in hand. The most effective way of precisely describing the scope of the project is by using a Gantt chart. It offers the visual reference for the project by further specifying the activities involved and the time required for their completion.
STEP 3 – WEBSITE DESIGN
Designing the website is another critical step of the web development process, where the focus is on selecting the theme, layout, color, features, and various other related aspects. At this stage, it is imperative to pay attention to the significant elements of a company and its business, including the logo, brand name, and tagline. Doing so will strengthen the brand’s identity and establish a positive image in the market.
STEP 4 – WEBSITE DEVELOPMENT
In this step, the individual elements of a website are taken and implemented to create a functional and user-friendly website. The homepage contains the navigational structure for the entire website. The content is distributed and uploaded on specific areas of the website’s pages. The technical side of the website development process involves designing interactive and engaging contact forms, selecting a Content Management System (CMS) like WordPress, Magento, etc., and implementing payment gateways.
STEP 5 – WEBSITE TESTING AND DEPLOYMENT
This step involves the process of website testing and deployment in which the designer adds the final touches to the website and tests it entirely before deployment. It is necessary to ensure that the website runs smoothly with no issues at all before uploading it to the hosting server. After uploading the website, it is advisable to conduct a final run and ensure that it is fully functional in all aspects. At last, the marketing experts must optimize the functionality and performance of the website by refining and adding finer details like page speed optimization, on-page Search Engine Optimization (SEO), plugin installation, to name a few.