A Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategy can be broadly divided into two sub-categories, namely, Off-Page SEO and On-Page SEO. Without any second thoughts, both are crucial leading towards the success of an SEO Marketing Campaign; however, they are on the entirely different sides of the fence when it comes to improving the search engine rankings. While evaluating a business website, search engines look at On-Page SEO to know what a website is all about, and Off-Page SEO to find how popular or authoritative it is. In other words, On-Page SEO factors determine what you rank for in the search engine results page, and Off-Page SEO factors determine how high you rank in those pages.
Also known as On-Site SEO, On-Page SEO refers to the act of optimizing various parts of a website for your target keywords that affect your search engine rankings. It corresponds to the stuff or elements that you have control over and can change on your business website. The factors included in On-Page SEO are as follows:
- Title Tags – Using your targeted keywords in the title tag of each page on your website is of utmost importance. Writing relevant and attractive title tags is an art and requires due attention.
- Headings – As headings capture attention easily, many search engines like Google give them more priority as compared to the other content on your website. It is always a great approach or idea to work your target keywords into the headings of each page while accurately reflecting the page content.
- URL Structure – It is imperative to make a point of the fact that one should use the target keywords in the URL structure only if it’s possible. There isn’t any need to change the entire URL structure just for fitting in the keywords. Besides, don’t consider changing old URLs until and unless you plan on redirecting them to the new ones.
- Alt Text for Images – Adding Alt text to all the images on a website should be given priority as it helps the blind internet users understand the content of your images. Since the search engines, also similarly crawl the images, inserting relevant keywords while precisely describing the image will help them understand the meaning of your page’s content.
- Page-Load Speed – Search engines always look forward to providing the best user experience due to which they help the users in finding what they are looking for as quickly as possible. Hence, it is vital to have fast-loading pages to make your website rank higher and generate more leads.
- Page Content – As Google and many other search engines have tactics and algorithms to measure how useful your content is – it is highly advisable to make sure that the content available on your website is easy-to-read, informative, relevant, and provides value to the end-users.
- Internal Linking – Linking internally to the other pages on your business website not only proves to be useful to the visitors but also the search engines.
Off-Page SEO refers to increasing and improving the authority of your domain with the help of getting links from other websites. The most efficient Off-Page SEO factor pertains to the number and quality of backlinks to your business website. Here are a few ways of building links to your business website:
- Creating relevant, engaging, and informative content that people would love to link to for grabbing the attention
- Posting your content on social media to generate better leads
- Using Email Marketing and working with influencers in your industry to increase brand awareness
- Opting for Guest Blogging on websites related to yours
Although the quantity of links is a significant aspect, many Marketing, and SEO experts have now realized that the focus should be more on link quality and shareable content is indeed the first step in generating valuable leads, and further improving your Off-Page SEO.
What is more important – On-Page SEO or Off-Page SEO?
Choosing between On-Page SEO and Off-Page SEO is not the question. Both On-Page SEO and Off-Page SEO work together in collaboration to improve and enhance your search engine rankings; however, according to various experts in the field of Digital Marketing and SEO, it is essential to have your On-Page SEO in place before focusing too much on Off-Page SEO. Adequately balancing the two will result in both the potential customers and search engines understand your website’s objective and working, and that is how your rankings shall begin to improve as well.